Use VET FEE-HELP to study now, pay later
If you are planning to study a Diploma, Advanced Diploma, a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma (or selected Certificate 4 Courses) you may be eligible to use VET FEE-HELP to defer paying your fees until you are earning enough money to pay the loan back.
As a student in a VET FEE-HELP eligible course at North Coast TAFE you can choose to pay your fees in three ways:
- Pay your course fee in full before the start of the course
- Pay the tuition fee covering your first unit of study and then pay your remaining tuition fees as you progress through the course
- Apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan to put off paying your fees until you reach the income threshold
If you want to use your TAFE course towards a Bachelor Degree or further study at University there are some VET FEE-HELP approved courses which offer a credit transfer that will reduce the number of units you study in your degree course, which may save you time and money.
How does it work?
VET FEE-HELP is a Commonwealth Government income-contingent loan scheme for vocational education and training students.
You repay the loan through the Australian tax system once you reach the income threshold (set by the Government each year). You may also choose to make voluntary repayments to reduce the loan. To find out what the minimum income you will need to be earning when you start to pay back the loan and for other helpful information, have a look on the Study Assist website.
For more information on policies and the process of selection, visit the VET FEE-HELP page.
Students thinking about taking a VFH loan should seek independent financial advice before applying for a VET FEE-HELP loan.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for VET FEE-HELP you need to:
- Be an Australian citizen; hold a permanent humanitarian visa and be staying in Australia for the length of your study; or be a New Zealand Citizen on a Special Category Visa who meets long term residency requirements
- Have a tax file number (or be able to show you have applied for one)
- Provide a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) or we can allocate one to you
- Still be within your FEE-HELP loan limit
- Meet the course entry requirements
- Be able to supply a certified copy of your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12 Certificate) or sit a Literacy and Numeracy Assessment and be assessed as displaying Exit Level 3 in literacy and numeracy against the Australian Core Skills Framework. You can complete this assessment online and the first attempt is free to the student
How do I apply?
- Apply for your chosen course
- Make sure that the course you choose offers VET FEE-HELP assistance.
- Complete any course selection/assessment processes.
- provide a certified copy of your Senior Secondary Certificate of Education or complete the Literacy and Numeracy online assessment at Exit Level 3.
- Receive an offer either verbally or via email for your course.
- Accept your offer either verbally or via return email.
The legal stuff
It’s important that you understand your rights and responsibilities around VET FEE-HELP. For more information on results, appeals and other legal matters go to the TAFE NSW Website.